This rolo occasion cake is the perfect celebration cake for chocoholics and despite being simple to make, it looks impressive enough to get everyone desperate for a slice!
It’s got three main steps – cakes, filling and topping. The cake is essentially two chocolate sponges sandwiches together. If you want to make this speedy you could use good old Becky Crocker! However, here are the recipes if you want to make this cake from scratch.
Ingredients for caramel filling
- 75g unsalted butter
- 50g soft light brown sugar
- 50g caster sugar
- 50g golden syrup
- 125ml double cream
- Melt butter, sugars and syrup in a small heavy-based pan.
- Simmer for 3 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in cream until caramel forms thick, sticky consistency.
Ingredients for Chocolate Sponges
- 200g plain flour
- 200g caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 40g cocoa powder
- 175g unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 150ml sour cream
- 200g of white chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius, then line and butter two-inch sandwich tins with removable bases.
- Add flour, sugar, baking powder, bicarb, cocoa powder, butter, eggs, vanilla and sour cream into a food processor and whiz until you have a smooth and thick batter. (If you don’t have a food processor you can mix the dry ingredients together, then beat in the butter, then gradually add in the eggs, cream and vanilla).
- Divide the batter evenly between the two tins, then pop into the oven,
- Cooking time takes about 35 minutes, but it is best to keep an eye on them from 25 minutes onwards, checking that a cake skewer comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool before you remove them out the tin, and leave to be completely cold before you add filling or topping.
Ingredients for chocolate fudge topping
- 175g dark chocolate
- 250g unsalted butter
- 275g icing sugar
- * You will also need two of the large sachet packs of rolos!
- Melt the chocolate either in a microwave or in a bain-marie but keep a close eye so that the chocolate melts into a smooth and lump-free consistency.
- Beat the butter in a bowl until it is soft and creamy, sieving in the icing sugar until everything is light and fluffy.
- Add the melted chocolate and mix until glossy and smooth.
- Layer the caramel on the top of the bottom cake, slowly sandwiching the top cake on top.
- Smother the cake in the icing.
- Top the cake in the rolos.
- Pop in the fridge for about 15 minutes before serving!