This nutritious vegetarian pasta dish is both delicious and super quick to make. Read on to find out the recipe for pasta caponata…
- 1 x large onion, finely chopped
- 4 x tbsp olive oil
- 3 x garlic cloves
- 1 x 250g jar of chargrilled peppers
- 1 x 400g chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 250g jar of capers
- 250g rigatoni
- Bunch of basil leaves
- Shaved parmesan to serve
- Bring a pan of lightly salted water to the boil. Add the pasta and cook until the pasta and cook until almost soft. Drain and keep covered until the sauce is done.
- Heat the oil in a pan and cook the onion until they start to brown. Once the onions begin to caramelise, add the crushed garlic.
- Add the peppers, tomatoes and capers along with seasoning. Simmer uncovered until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Mix the pasta and sauce together, adding the basil leaves right before serving – spooning into bowls and topping with the parmesan.
This pasta keeps for around 4-5 days and tastes delicious hot or cold. The sweetness of the onions and garlic works beautifully with the salty tang of capers. You could also add diced pork or chicken to make this a hearty meat-filled dish.